Compiling/Headers query
dtansley1974
2005-01-31 15:03:18 UTC
Hi folks,

Being a bit of a linux compilation newcomer, I'm finding all kinds of
problems making code on the Slug. Most of my problems seem to stem
from the configure scripts failing to find specific headers (usually
ncurses or libjpeg).

(Stop me if I'm making any incorrect assumptions here, I know I'm
virtually clueless..)

I've checked in /opt/include and I'm fairly sure that I've got what I
need in there. How do I make the configure script see them in this
location?

An example output of a configure script would be: [from BitchX]

checking whether to use use tgetent or setupterm... setupterm
checking for setupterm in -lncurses... no
checking for setupterm in -lcurses... no
checking for tgetent in -ltinfo... no
checking for tgetent in -lmytinfo... no
checking for setupterm in -ltinfo... no
configure: WARNING: cannot find setupterm - trying tgetent
checking for tgetent in -ltermlib... no
checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
configure: error: cannot find setupterm or tgetent

What does it mean by "-lncurses", "-ltinfo" etc?

Apologies if this is an extremely basic query, any help greatly
appreciated.

Dave

[ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
Rod Whitby
2005-01-31 22:50:41 UTC
Post by dtansley1974
Being a bit of a linux compilation newcomer, I'm finding all kinds of
problems making code on the Slug. Most of my problems seem to stem
from the configure scripts failing to find specific headers (usually
ncurses or libjpeg).
If you use the instructions at:

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung/AddAPackageToUnslung

then the Unslung packages Makefile there gives configure the correct
include paths.

I cannot stress strongly enough that the easiest way to natively
compile software on the slug is to use those instructions to create an
Unslung package. A nice side-effect is that your package is then
ready for contribution to the CVS repository (which then causes the
package binary to be uploaded to the feed for everyone else to use).

-- Rod

[ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
janne
2005-01-31 23:32:10 UTC
Post by Rod Whitby
I cannot stress strongly enough that the easiest way to natively
compile software on the slug is to use those instructions to create an
Unslung package. A nice side-effect is that your package is then
ready for contribution to the CVS repository (which then causes the
package binary to be uploaded to the feed for everyone else to use).
How does this side-effect work? Do I upload all I compile on the slug
automaticly?

/Janne

[ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
Rod Whitby
2005-02-01 02:42:11 UTC
Post by janne
Post by Rod Whitby
I cannot stress strongly enough that the easiest way to natively
compile software on the slug is to use those instructions to create an
Unslung package. A nice side-effect is that your package is then
ready for contribution to the CVS repository (which then causes the
package binary to be uploaded to the feed for everyone else to use).
How does this side-effect work? Do I upload all I compile on the slug
automaticly?
There is a fairly regular (every couple of days) build of the native
packages and upload to the feed. If you catch me in IRC then it can
sometimes be done immediately.

You need to have added them to the READY_TO_BE_TESTED variable in the
top-level Makefile for them to be noticed, tested, and then uploaded.

-- Rod

[ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
goodnewscd
2005-02-01 04:27:29 UTC
Your configure scripts report it cannot find some of the lib files.
If you are sure you have all the files, try to do
'export GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=/opt/lib' before you run your configure scripts.

KK
Efrain Salazar
2005-02-03 05:42:21 UTC
It doesn't work.
I installed crosstool-native - 0.28-rc37-4.
I then installed zlib - 1.2.2-1 and
gzip - 1.2.4-1, libpng - 1.2.8-1.

I then downloaded gd-2.0.33 and attempted to install
it. I get that gzip, zlib, and libpng are not
installed. I thought that installing crosstool-native
will set all the correct paths to the libraries and
headers. What do I have to do to get the compilation
work with the required packages?

./configure --prefix=/opt
I get the following:

..partial listing ..

checking iconv.h usability... yes

checking iconv.h presence... yes

checking for iconv.h... yes

checking whether iconv.h defines iconv_t... yes

checking for sin... no

checking for sin in -lm... yes

checking for deflate in -lz... no

configure: WARNING: zlib is required - see
http://www.gzip.org/zlib/

checking for libpng-config... no

checking png.h usability... no

checking png.h presence... no

checking for png.h... no

checking libpng/png.h usability... no

checking libpng/png.h presence... no

checking for libpng/png.h... no

checking for png_create_read_struct in -lpng... no

configure: WARNING: libpng is required - see
http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/

checking for freetype-config... no

checking for FT_Init_FreeType in -lfreetype... no

configure: WARNING: not found - disabling freetype
support

checking freetype/freetype.h usability... no

checking freetype/freetype.h presence... no

checking for freetype/freetype.h... no

checking for jpeg_set_defaults in -ljpeg... no

checking for XpmReadFileToXpmImage in -lXpm... no

checking for the pthreads library -lpthreads... no

checking whether pthreads work without any flags... no

checking whether pthreads work with -Kthread... no

checking whether pthreads work with -kthread... no

checking for the pthreads library -llthread... no

checking whether pthreads work with -pthread... yes

checking for joinable pthread attribute...
PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE

checking if more special flags are required for
pthreads... no

I installed the native compile
http://my.yahoo.com

[ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]
Rod Whitby
2005-02-03 21:55:43 UTC
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 21:42:21 -0800 (PST), Efrain Salazar
Post by Efrain Salazar
It doesn't work.
I installed crosstool-native - 0.28-rc37-4.
I then installed zlib - 1.2.2-1 and
gzip - 1.2.4-1, libpng - 1.2.8-1.
I then downloaded gd-2.0.33 and attempted to install
it. I get that gzip, zlib, and libpng are not
installed. I thought that installing crosstool-native
will set all the correct paths to the libraries and
headers. What do I have to do to get the compilation
work with the required packages?
If you use template.mk in-situ in the Unslung CVS build system, then
all the paths are set correctly for you. That's why we advise that
the first thing you do when trying to natively compile is to follow
the instructions in the HowTo which tells you how to add a package to
unslung.

If you don't use the Unslung CVS build environment and template.mk,
then you will really be on your own somewhat, because the Unslung
package development team (53 developers) all use that environment).

-- Rod

[ Moderator Note: All static information is slowly moving to the Wiki at http://www.nslu2-linux.org ]